Spring sports are winding down and the Cazenovia Facilities team is winding up for summer! We’ve made a few changes this year, Sam Walrod has left our grounds crew to join our team in the Bus Garage, Congratulations Sam! In his place, we chose to hire (5) seasonal laborers to support not only the grounds crew, but the entire facilities team. These five District alumni are college students, home for the summer. They will be supplementing our work crews and assisting with a variety of special projects throughout the District.
In no particular order, these are some of the things you will see occurring this summer:
- Edging and infield material amendments for our Baseball and Softball fields
- Pruning and Improvements to our landscape plantings
- Repairs to worn turf and lawns, additional topsoil, seed and fertilizer
- Clearing and improvements to drainage swale behind Burton St playground
- Clearing of debris accumulated in wood edge behind barn at Fenner Rd.
- Repainting of parking lot markings
- Repairs to playground equipment and additional mulch as needed
If you happen to be inside our buildings, we have several projects pending approval which we hope to accomplish. Assuming approvals from NYSED are timely, we will be completing those items included in Phase 1 of our Smart Schools Grant and our annual $100k Capital Outlay project. These include the following:
Smart Schools: Technology upgrades at Burton St (improved bandwidth) and building security upgrades District wide.
Capital Outlay: Upgrades to portable radio systems and new VOIP telephone systems.
Additionally, our custodial and maintenance staff will be busy scouring our buildings, prepping for additional K-2 classrooms, relamping lights, changing filters and refinishing floors.
Lastly, we are also currently considering some paving work at Burton Street. The Village is planning to repave a portion of Clark St as soon as school lets out for the summer. We are working with them now to evaluate our needs and determine what can be accomplished within our means. Many thanks to both the Village and Town for all their support!